Tuesday, May 13, 2008

just another (mother's) day

No post for a few days, life has gotten in the way. I thought I needed to let off a little steam.

Sunday, was Mother's Day, blah, blah, blah. Not really a big deal to me. I don't usually spend quality time with my mom on this day. She lives close and I see and talk to her all of the time. Nor do I brunch with my husband and kids or get the cliche flowers, candy or jewelry! (My sarcastic tone is because I secretly would have liked any of this!)

I usually like to be by myself- which is a treat to me- and work in my garden on this day. The 75 mph winds, 40 degree temperature and downpour of rain screwed up my tradition.

My husband suggested going to his mom's for the day. She lost her husband last week and his other siblings were going over there. I knew deep down that this would be a nice gesture. For some reason, though, I argued it. I don't know what it was.

My mother in law and I don't have the closest relationship and have had our share of yelling matches and disagreements, but those are in the past. As years have passed, I have become more understanding of her and her lifestyle. I have realized we actually have some things in common, which is a fact that many people would have a coronary to hear me admit.

So, I finally broke down and went. We spent the day in a candlelit room- electricity was out due to the crazy weather- no tv or radio- which left us to our own devices of TALKING. I must admit, it wasn't so bad!

Mother's Day has become, like many, a commercial holiday. I guess I fell into that mindset that it was MY day and everything had to be about me since I am a mom. That's why I put up a fight about going to his mom's house on Mother's Day. That was silly. It turned out to be an Ok day even though it wasn't what I would have chosen.


post signature

No comments: