Friday, May 23, 2008

It's the man childs birthday weekend

My husband and I have a love- hate relationship. We are definitely not the lovey dovey type. We are the kind that bicker pretty much all the time- others think it's funny when they witness it. If I had a dollar for each time someone told me that we were just like Debra and Ray on "Everybody Loves Raymond", well, I'd have several dollars.

I've watch that show and, honest to God, there are probably 5-10 episodes where I was left scratching my head wondering: oh my God, how did they get this story line? We just had that exact same arguement!

That being said, it has nothing to do with the cost of butter, but I thought I would share it as a way to illustrate our dynamic. He's an idiot and I'm the one with my shit together.

Anyway, It's his birthday on Sunday. I have spoiled him on his birthday since I've known him- what I can say, he drives me mad, but I'm a giver! I have thrown surprise parties, planned big fancy dinners with friends and he always gets showered with whatever is on his list. He has truly become like one of the kids ( you know how when the kids have a party at school , then with friends, then with the family and before you know it, it has become their birthday week).

His birthday is Sunday, but he keeps saying "but today is my birthday" NO TODAY IS FRIDAY. We have plans tomorrow and he's being a pain in the butt about it and doesn't want to go, why? that's not how I want to spend my birthday- once again, NOT YOUR BIRTHDAY- IT'S ON SUNDAY!

I don't know about you, but I don't "ask" for stuff for birthday anymore. If there's something I need, I pretty much just go out and get it. I'm pathetically practical and don't need much more than enough to get me by. Not my husband! After Sunday, he will start asking for things for Christmas and after Christmas, he will ask for things for his birthday- I kid you not! He is the biggest child and always "wants" stuff. Not practical stuff either- crap, toys, knick- knacks, if a child would like it, he might. Which is ironic, because he's not youthful and playful, like you'd imagine from his list of wants, he always saying he's too old to do this or that and achin' and moanin'!

Here are just a few of the things that have been on his list in the last couple of years: Dick Tracy lunch box, record player, stuff to go on his bike, cd's, movies, popcorn machine, punching bag, Mock 5 toy car (from Speed Racer), Mario Kart video game for Wii- I ask you, does this sound like a 44 year old man?



post signature

5 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL. No he doesn't sound like a 44 year old man, but I must give him props for keepin' youthful and up on the times!

Entertaining writing, girl! Glad I was finally able to pop over.

happyathome said...

Maybe drop one of the 4's off his age for what he wants.....but do they ever grow up?!
http://lifeislikechampagne.blogspot.com/

The Mom Jen said...

Wow, man-child is very apropos!

What about 44 spanks? Wait. He might enjoy those.

Alice said...

I'm soooo like you. If I want something - I just take care of it myself. Lord - to think if I actually had to wait for my birthday for something!

LiteralDan said...

He sounds like a bit of a wet blanket, but maybe he's going through male menopause/midlife crisis? Not that it's a good defense, but since you say he changed so much at 40, maybe there's something to it?

Mario Kart Wii is super fun, but most of the rest of the stuff does indeed sound like it belongs on a 12-year-old's list, on average.