Wednesday, September 23, 2009

www.tenastherapy.com

In high school, I never gave into peer pressure. I was cool with being uncool. It worked for me.

I never drank because I felt I had to- just to fit in. I did drugs in college because, well, I wanted to. I was promiscuous with only the men that I wanted to be promiscuous with. I've always marched to the beat of my own doped up, slutty little drummer- usually in a band with long hair and tattoos... until... yesterday.

Ah, yesterday, times were so much simpler.

I had my modest little website and we were happy. I had hundreds dozens of committed readers and subscribers at my little blog and things were good. Until... yesterday.

Yesterday, I was just minding my own business and being my normally productive self (read: goofing around on the computer with my Aiming Low friends) when the topic of owning your own domain came up. If you're not a blogger, this is, simply owning the domain name- like www.mytherapy, for example. It's way more professional, easier to get to, and known commonly in the blogosphere as "putting on your big girl pants".

What's fun about being professional and wearing big girl pants? I'm not sure.

I considered it for a moment, but then when I discovered that http://www.mytherapy/ was a real therapy site and already taken, I said screw it.

Until the peer pressure started.
"Your blog is not cool unless it's on WordPress."
"You suck if you don't own your own domain and take this hit of acid."

"Everyone's doing it."

Ok, so maybe I just heard those things in my head and they didn't pressure me, but still... I'm impulsive... I ran to the home of the domain names and bought www.tenastherapy.com.

Then, I decided to move to WordPress- which is the equivalent of taking off the blogging training wheels on a bike that I already didn't know how to ride.

What the hell was I thinking?

That is a very good question.

I was trying to keep up with the cool kids. Prove that I could fit in. How wrong I was!

These are big technological moves. I am not tech savvy- like, REALLY not- like, I'm proud that I know how to check e-mail and use a cell phone- not tech savvy. I hadn't the first clue of what I had gotten myself into.

I felt like I was going to puke for the last 18 hours, but with the help of a little Portuguese angel with a gorgeous technical brain and more patience than Taylor Swift, and a few doses of anti-depressants, I am now wearing sexy panties and riding a two wheeler at www.tenastherapy.com!

And... I have 1 subscriber. Yeah, they didn't carry over. So, this is me... starting over. Have pity on me and join me, won't you?

www.tenastherapy.com


post signature

6 comments:

Tuesday Taylor said...

I think it's beyond peer pressure. It's Tena's All Grows Up.
Congrats!

bethany said...

Actually, I'm still seeing you on blogger, not wordpress.

Wordpress is just better in terms of a more professional and refined look, but it is not always for everyone. ;o)

Oh - and people that follow you, as long as they follow your domain, such as on Google reader and such, should follow you from now on.. without having to reask. That's one of the good things about a domain - when you move, it moves your readers with you.

Found you yesterday... btw.. ;o)

Ann Harrison said...

This is great Tena. I've been wondering about this and it's true. There is a lot of pressure.

Everything's gonna be great, your followers will still find you.

Debz said...

So... what do I do? Do I stop following here? Will you still post here too? I'll go over and follow you there - I'm such a follower - but do I stay here as well?
D'OH! This is too much for my pea brain. Hold me.

Karen MEG said...

Wow, that's a big leap! Good for you, I shit nickles just making changes to my Blogger look.

I'll pop over and look for you at your new place...

Terri said...

I will definitely check you out at your new digs Tena! Be sure to come by my place and try to win a cool prize!