Sunday, April 27, 2008

only skin deep

So I hosted a "spa party" the other night. It was one of those direct sale - tupperware-type shows that some women are suckers for- the others hate them! I am one of the suckers because I am cheap, poor and like nice things.

The age of 35 has morphed me into a horribly vain and superficial person, as of late. I thought a skin care product party was just what the dr. ( in lieu of a dermatologist or plastic surgeon) ordered. We wore a skin mask, did some feet and hand treatments. We were able to try a microderm abrasion contraption that they sell, followed by a few more cleansers, toners, and lotions on our faces. My face was feeling as soft as a baby's butt- no kidding! I felt my wrinkles and pores shrinking as sure as I was living and breathing!

Yes, I worshiped the sun and frequented tanning beds throughout high school and college, who didn't? I learned the error of my ways. I have been very good about wearing sunscreen everyday for about 5 years, now. So now, armed with all of my new products that promise to help me "fight the effects of aging from the inside and out"- I'm ready for my skin to look like it did when I was 20, right?

The skin care consultant then says she has one of those ultraviolet lights if anyone is interested in seeing the sun damage on their face. Now, before she got there- no way would I have wanted to see! But she has me all pumped up on adrenaline and energized that my skin is being taken care of and it feels so smooth! I'm also thinking that I have worn sunscreen for 5 years- how bad could it be?

First, let me say, those lights are a thing from hell! There's no reason anyone needs to see that! It's just plain depressing! Talk about bursting a bubble! I didn't have sun damage spots- I had a couple spots that were NOT sun damaged! Then, to add insult to injury, my eyes!!! They were surrounded by jet black circles. I didn't know about that and frankly, I was so scattered and deflated at this point, I didn't even hear her explanation of why I looked like Rocky Raccoon!

Why do I care about that light? I have no idea? It's not like me or anyone else can see what that light exposed, but I fell for it hook, line and sinker. I ordered everything in her repertoir! That sneaky skin care consultant!

post signature

1 comment:

Momo Fali said...

Oh no!!! I would hate to see myself under that light. Thanks for the warning!